Dance

People Are Talking: UMS presents Random Dance at The Power Center

Posted: 2/18/12 -- 8:00 am

avatar by The UMS Lobby

Tell us what you thought! This is the place to comment on the performance and talk to other people about what you saw and heard.  Don’t forget to click the option to be notified when new comments are posted.

I just got back from the performance-I definitely enjoyed it, it was so interesting to watch!

The lighting, music, and movement worked together to create a fairly surreal effect. The music seemed to have a machine or engine like steady quality for much of the piece, but also with a heartbeat like bass. The movement was sometimes creepily unnatural looking, as it pushed the boundaries of what the body is capable of and what we typically do with it. I noticed especially a lot of “limb” in the dance.

What interested me was the contrasts between motion and sudden stillness, bodies in silhouette and in light, in full extension and contraction, and between a single dancer and many dancers. I haven’t seen a lot of dance, and I was intrigued by how these details could be used on stage to create different effects.

I’m going to give the performance an A. I would give it an A plus but I found the music a bit too machiney at times. Other times the synthesizer was a bit of a rush as I’m sure Wayne McGregor intended. The movement was well, quite random. The lighting was ingenious for a road troop. The dancers were terrific. Yeah American dancers are good too, but add these guys to the repertoire. I’ll be interested in seeing the piece he worked up for the Summer Olympics in London.

This production of FAR changed my perspective of the human body, the art of dance, and the capabilities of each. The choreography, along with the lighting and music, was very different from other dance productions I have experienced. I truly felt as if I were getting a glimpse into another world. This world was intimate, private, exploratory, and beautiful.

Although I didn’t sense an overarching narrative, some themes I noticed were themes of struggle, urgency, intimacy, and primality. Also, because my seat was so close to the stage, I was able to see the facial expressions of the dancers (which were typically serious), and could watch them breathing. Seeing their breathing, I felt, added life to the piece.

I really enjoyed the dancers they were great, but I thought the music was too loud.

An intense wedding of movement, sound and light. What a show. An intense 60 minutes. Congratulations Ken and Co. for bringing us such great programming. Please invite them back. I want to see more and I’m sure others would like to as well.

I returned from the FAR performance with a new perspective on dance. Being used to seeing traditional dance, such as jazz or contemporary, the night’s performance changed my outlook. The so called “random” movements, seemed very intentional and beautifully executed. For me, the most interesting aspect was the silhouette effect that was created, using similarly shaped bodies and lighting. This directed one’s focus towards the intricate movements and the synchrony and “dis-synchrony” of the dancer’s positions at all times. Overall, wonderful performance, I thoroughly enjoyed the work.

I enjoyed the whole performance,the body movements reminded me of yoga,the body is an amazing instrument to express emotions,the lights and shadows on the silhouettes were beautiful.Wayne McGregor’s artistic choreography is very unique and a pioneer in adding a psychological aspect to the artistic modern dance.

This show was absolutely amazing and unlike anything I had seen before. My experience with dance is rather limited, especially when it comes to it’s more modern forms. This performance however, ignited some passion to experience more.

As I watched, my eyes starred, transfixed by the beauty before them. The dancers ebbed in and out of contorted interlock, that was both strange and provocative. There actions seem to emanate from some source beyond their body, maybe their mind or soul. Gregor’s investigation into conscious is profound, and he wonderfully illustrates the tug a war of intentions, as people’s thoughts and emotions drive them forward.

I can’t wait to see more of McGregor’s work, and feel very lucky to have had this opportunity.

• I enjoyed the performance a lot! There was always something going on which kept my attention. I thought the lights played a very important role as the lightning guided my attention. The dancers were all excellent. I really loved the atmosphere at the beginning. And then I was surprised about the music after that. Mayby it would have been even better to bring the music of the beginning back to have a strong closing at the end.

Wow, what a fantastic performance! I’ve never really seen a purely contemporary dance show before, so this was a new and refreshing experience for me that really opened my eyes to a new form of art. It definitely made me more conscience of how expressive movements can be, and the capabilities of the human body. I felt completely absorbed into their passionate, beautiful world of dance!

The Random Dance performance of FAR was amazing! The physical and mental skill required by the dancers was absolutely amazing, I’m sure the performance was exhausting! The movements and choreography were absolutely creepy and alien-like, but in a good way! I also enjoyed the lighting and backdrop, and watching the choreography interpret the changing lights was exciting. The music accompanying the performance felt random and eerie, and I think added nicely to the overall show. I left feeling like I had just seen aliens invade from a “FAR” away land, with intense movements and coordinated lighting. Connecting these movements as human is a challenging idea that pushes us to think differently about our everyday motions. A fantastic performance!

Wow! I absolutely loved the performance! The blend of the movement, music and lighting (such a cool light board!) was mesmerizing! I was transfixed for the entire performance and hope to explore more of Random Dance productions! What a show!

I was really impressed with the range of movement achieved by this performance! The movements seemed very organic in a sense that they seemed like ways the body wants to move as opposed to the rigidly placed movements of other styles of dance.
    I also was interested by the way gender was portrayed in the performance. The movements of male and female dancers were nearly identical, not determined by gender like in ballet for example. And they also were costumed in some of the same garments. But it was interesting that still the performance did not ignore gender, because the groupings of males and females seemed deliberate. I wonder what kind of narrative is being achieved by this similarity and separation?

Some random thoughts on McGregor/Random Dance’s FAR:

From 18th-century song to throbbing rock and techno rhythms, played loud; from torch to electric light and ultimately digital sequences: this is an age of enlightenment, but whose? Theirs? Ours? The act and art of discovery—discovering (uncovering) the body. Dancers, like toddlers, delighting in fingers (digits!), limbs, torsos. Exploring.

I find myself wondering if we’re still capable of the kind of amazement that our 18th-century forebears experienced, or if the wonders of the technological revolution we’re experiencing right now have numbed us. Is McGregor drawing comparisons between that earlier age of enlightenment and our own enLIGHTenment?

Echoes of Einstein on the Beach—each of these two performances with its blinding bars of manufactured light. In McGregor’s case, is the curious, mother-board-like backdrop of light a reference to the human brain? As recognition shifts in and out, the lights blink on and off, organize themselves in sequences—neurons firing? And then there’s the difficulty of seeing bodies—ourselves—in the dark. This is especially difficult in an age of torches, but in our own age, the bright lights of too much information can also plunge the body into shadow. (I think of the people I see everywhere around me, hunched over their little screens, thumbs wiggling, bodies inert. It’s as if we’ve been decapitated, ghost bodies made up of little more than eyes and thumbs.)

What constitutes genuine knowledge, as opposed to mere information? Surely that’s being asked here as well.

As with Einstein, FAR culminates in, or at least leads to, a love duet. Human love: tender gestures after so much confusion, violence, energetic “oscillation” (that wonderful word from Einstein). The multiplicity of ways that two bodies can be entangled. The extraordinary ways the limbs and torso can bend. Again, we’re discovering—and McGregor and his dancers are illuminating. This is a thoughtful piece, a piece about thinking, about the mind channeling its energies into the body, the firing of neurons from thought to twitch.

McGregor said on Thursday that dance pieces need to be seen twice (or more) in order to be grasped. It’s true of this one. Wish UMS had given us a second or third chance.

• Quite an incredible show! It’s really true that McGregor has created his own unique vocabulary, those motions were like nothing I had seen before. And such a fascinating and powerful language it is. The bending bodies consistently reminded me of Dali’s paintings. To me, McGregor’s vocabulary as a choreographer seemed to be almost surrealist in ways. Something as natural and as physical as motion was explored in such a different landscape, in such different circumstances, that it really encouraged a lot of thought. It was a beautiful show, a lovely length, and an incredible display of strength and endurance from the performers. Bravo to Random Dance and McGregor for creating such an event.

Quite the immersive experience. I thought the lighting in particular was attention-grabbing. The choreographer seemed to put the dancers (at least for the beginning half) in an underwater environment, all of the movement was very fluid. Even the sharp movements had a high degree of grace.

• I also really enjoyed the performance! Not only did the music and movement mesh well to produce a dream-like feeling, but there was also so much emotion worked into the show. I especially liked the interactions between men and women. There was often visible tension between male and female dancers that was at times very sexual and just as often completely nonsexual. This emotion was what allowed the show to tell many stories about conflict between dancers what made it a very moving performance.

I’ve attended all of the dances throughout this renegade series and this was the first dance I saw from the main floor. It was certainly a different experience, yet highly enjoyable. One of the most interesting things I’ve noticed thus far are how there has been a consistent theme of boy and girl relation like tensions. There has consistently been an abusive figure and a subordinated victim. This idea has been prevalent numerous times and in a plethora of different ways. I found the tumbling on the floor with bodies entangled to be very expressive of a disputing couple that never makes any progress because they don’t have a stable foundation. I also appreciated the dance segment that featured two men. It was different than expected yet still as graceful and moving.

• I really loved this performance. While I do not know very much about dance, this modern dance show was fascinating. I loved the lights and the music that were incorporated into the performance to make the atmosphere more surreal. The synchronized while still disjointed movements between the performance was stunning. I’d love to go to another dance show after seeing this.

Belcea Quartet